dr billups meridian mississippi
dr billups meridian ms
dr billups iii meridian ms
dr billups 3 meridian ms
dr bill williams
dr william billups iii
dr william billups meridian ms
robotic breast cancer surgeon
obotic hernia surgeon
robotic colorectal surgeon
robotic thyroid surgeon
robotic gallbladder surgeon
Dr. William A.
Billups III, MD, FACS
Dr. William Billups is a highly respected & seasoned surgeon who was born and raised right here in Meridian, MS. His medical practice focuses primarily on breast cancer surgery, hernia surgery, colon & rectal surgery, thyroid surgery, and gallbladder surgery. He specializes in both traditional & robotic surgical procedures.
Dr. Billups completed his post-secondary education at Millsaps College in Jackson, MS in 1987. He then completed his medical school at the University of Alabama in Birmingham. After graduating from medical school, he and his wife moved to Dallas, TX to start his surgical training. In 1996, he completed his general surgery residency at the University of Texas Southwestern, home of the world-famous Parkland Memorial Hospital. Following his training, he moved back home to Meridian, MS and has been practicing medicine here ever since. He is a two-time board-certified general surgeon.
Providing Quality Medical Care Since 1952
Dr. Billups’ training and education equip him with the skills and experience to deliver top-notch care to his patients, no matter what the situation may be. He can perform surgery via traditional methods or by using robotic and laparoscopic procedures and can individualize treatment plans for each patient to deliver the type of care that will produce the best outcome.
Dr. Billups is able to provide a wide range of surgical procedures, which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery
- Utilized to accomplish most abdominal surgeries
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Resection
- Breast Surgery
- Lumpectomy/Partial Mastectomy
- Total Mastectomy
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Ventral/Incisional Hernia Repair
- Diaphragmatic/Hiatal Hernia Repair
- Anti-Reflux Surgery
- Hiatal Hernia Repair
- Endocrine Surgery
- Melanoma/Skin Cancer Surgery
- Hemodialysis Access Surgery
- Arteriovenous Fistula Placement
- Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Placement
- Hemodialysis Catheter Placement
- Trauma Surgery
As a native of the Meridian area, Dr. Billups’s connection to the community has always been an important part of his life. As a physician, he appreciates the opportunity to continue to develop a personal connection with his patients and their families. Dr. Billups in Meridian, MS understands the weight of trust that is given to him as a physician and a surgeon, and he does not take it lightly. He strives to understand his patients, their families, and their goals in order to come up with a treatment plan that is beneficial for each of his patients.
- Appointed Member of Mississippi Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council, December 11, 2001-January 2004
- Medical Director of East Central Mississippi Trauma Care Region, 2000-2004
- Examination Consultant, American Board of Surgery, 2009
- Mississippi State Medical Association — Council on Medical Service
- American Medical Association
- Parkland Surgical Society
- Mississippi State Medical Association — Council on Medical Education
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1999
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery
- Anderson Regional Medical Center-South, Meridian, MS
- Courtesy Staff at Rush Foundation Hospital, Meridian, MS
areas of expertise
- Breast Cancer
- Colon Surgery
- Thyroid Surgery
- Resident Teaching Award, 1996
- Dean’s Award for the highest grade in Clinical Sciences, 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1991
- Tinsley Harrison Society Award
- Research Assistant, Pediatric Nephrology Lab, 1985
- Private Practice of General Surgery, Peripheral Vascular and Thoracic, Medical Arts Surgical Group, Meridian, MS, July 1996-present
- Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
- Children’s Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Medical City Dallas Hospital, Dallas, TX
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas, TX
- VA Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Zale Lipshy University Hospital, Dallas, TX
get to know dr. billups more
- He was born and raised in Meridian, Mississippi.
- His father was one of the founding surgeons of the Medical Arts Surgical Group.
- He graduated as Magna Cum Laude at the University of Alabama.
- During his internship at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, TX, he became very skilled in caring for trauma patients.
- He has been awarded and recognized for his dedication and knowledge in medicine. The recognition includes serving a term as an examination consultant for the Medical Board, where he designed and critiqued test questions for medical students.
- He enjoys spending his free time taking part in a myriad of outdoor activities, including running field trials with his Labrador Retriever.
- American Board of Surgery, 2009